Operations management (OM) as a field deals with the production of goods and services. Everyday we come in contact with abundant array or goods or services, all of which are produced under managerial scrutiny. In other words, Operations Management is responsible for supplying the product or service of the organisation. In operations management, managers make decisions regarding the operations function and its connection with other functions. Operation managers plan and control production systems and its interfaces within the organsiation and with the external environment.
The services under operations management include
- Development of process design;
- Development of operations strategy;
- Development of product design;
- Development of service process design;
- Process flow analysis;
- Managing quality and quantity control systems;
- Supply chain management;
- Scheduling operations;
- Development of inventories.